|Location||200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.|
Evansville, IN 47713
The City of Evansville's public library tradition began in 1848 when John Ingle Jr. purchased 1,000 books to be stored in the County Auditor's Office and the old courthouse. It wasn't until 1855 that the Evansville Library Association was formed with Mr. Ingle behind the wheel as its president.
The current Central Library building located at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Walnut St. opened in September 2004. Prior to this modern complex's completion, the EVPL's Central Library was located in the current home of the Children's Museum of Evansville in an Art Deco building dating back to 1931.